Leading the project, is, the Cabildo Insular de Tenerife, an institution founded in 1913 and established as a key part of the island’s Public Administration. The Tenerife Island Council is responsible for the economic and social development of the Island.
Together with the Cabildo Insular de Tenerife the Sociedad de Promoción Exterior de Tenerife (SPET Turismo de Tenerife) is another of the partners involved in Innovatur. It is a body with responsibility for the promotion of the Island through cooperation with the various entities of the tourism sector.
Tenerife positions itself as the principal benchmark destination with more than five million tourists received in 2016. Although the Island had previously been an essential destination for explorers, botanists and geologists, Tenerife’s first steps in tourism date back to the last decades of the nineteenth century. The warmth of its climate and the mild temperature of the Atlantic attracted thousands of people who came from Europe to relieve their respiratory ailments. As a result, the Hotel and Sanatorium Company of the La Orotava Valley was founded in Puerto de la Cruz in 1886. This would soon become the first hotel company in the Canary Islands. Even back then, its success and growth proclaimed the Island’s tourist future. In the case of the town of Los Cristianos, this would arrive in the second half of the twentieth century with tourists attracted for the same therapeutic reasons.
The Câmara de Comércio e Indústria da Madeira is also part of Innovatur. Founded in 1836 with the aim of boosting the economic activity of the autonomous region, today the ACIF-CCIM continues its work to promote the island, a task in which tourism occupies a central position.
Its exuberant natural environment and temperate climate have attracted visitors to the coasts of Madeira since the 17th century. At first it was no more than a technical refuelling stop for the large transatlantic cruisers, but soon the excursions that were taken during this break in the journey began to be an attraction on the itineraries. This made William Reid, who arrived on the island from his native Scotland in 1894 on the advice of his doctor due to his fragile health, decide to open Madeira’s first hotel. That has been followed by a wide range of accommodation options that have seen increased demand since the inauguration of the airport in 1963.
Representing Terceira Island in this project is the Câmara de Comércio de Angra do Heroísmo, founded in 1852 and taking its name from Angra do Heroísmo, the capital of this island of the Azores. As an entity responsible for, among other things, the use of available resources to contribute to relevant initiatives, tourism occupies its own place through the Comisión de Promoción y Dinamización Turística (Commission for Tourism Stimulus and Promotion).
Also known as the Lilac Island due to the many hydrangeas of this colour on the island, Terceira owes its name to being the third of the Azores islands discovered in the fifteenth century by the Portuguese. Two hundred years later, it became a transit point for explorers and corsairs. The former regarded the island as a mandatory point on the route to the Indies, and the latter came to it attracted like magnets to the metals and riches that its galleons transported to the New World. For lovers of active tourism, this intrepid and adventurous spirit is still present on the island, with spectacular volcanic spaces and boats that allow the sighting of whales and dolphins in what is considered to be a sanctuary for the marine species that cross its waters during their migration to other latitudes.